Work Comp FAQs


The Basics

  • If you believe you were injured at work or suffer from an illness because of your job, tell your employer as soon as possible.
    By promptly reporting your injury to your employer. To protect yourself, and to create a "papertrail," it is suggested that you do this in writing, and by certified mail, return receipt requested. Seek medical treatment also to document your injury or illness and make sure you tell your doctor that treatment relates to a workers’ compensation injury.
  • Get the name and phone number of the workers’ compensation insurer from your employer.  Your insurer not your employer, is your primary contact, so stay in contact with them.
  • Get medical treatment from a health care provider of your choice and tell your provider that you were injured on the job. Remember: Your employer cannot choose your health care provider for you.
  • Your first health care provider should ask you to complete Form 827, “Worker’s and Physician’s Report for Workers’ Compensation Claims.” The provider will send the form to the insurer and give you a copy for your records.


Here's a list of the various types of Worker Compensation available to Hawaii's injured workers; TTD, PPD, TPD, etc. 


Any employer, other than those excluded below, having one or more employees, full-time or part-time, permanent or temporary, is required to provide WC coverage for the employees.


You may obtain medical treatment from a physician of your choice. However, you may be under the care of only one attending physician. Your attending physician may refer you to other specialist(s) with the approval of your employer's insurance carrier.


If you are injured at work, immediately report the accident to your employer and seek medical treatment from an employer authorized doctor. Read on for further information.

Why can't I see my own doctor?

The law often says that employers must pay for all medical care related to the accident, so they control which doctors you may see.

Next HIWA Meeting


Our Non-Profit Status


On 12/12/2012 HIWA was granted its non-profit status by the IRS, effective as of 11/30/2011

ER ID No. 45-4038392


Donate Today


HIWA is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization

Call: (808) 538-9771