What types of Worker Compensation is available in Hawaii for injured workers


Here's a list of the various types of Worker Compensation available to Hawaii's injured workers; TTD, PPD, TPD, etc. 

  1. Temporary Total Disability (TTD)

    If you are unable to work because of an industrial injury, after a three-day waiting period, you may receive temporary wage replacement benefits equal to 66 2/3% of your average weekly wage, but no more than the maximum weekly benefit amount annually set by this Division.

    The weekly compensation for TTD is set and fixed according to your wages or the maximum amount existing the year you were first injured. For example, the maximum weekly benefit amount for the year 2008 is $696.00. In other words, if you were injured anytime in 2008, your weekly TTD benefit payment will either be two thirds of your average weekly wages or $696.00, whichever is less.

  2. Permanent Partial Disability (PPD)

    After you reach the point of stability or maximum medical recovery, you may be sent to a physician to evaluate the extent of your permanent impairment. The evaluation will be used to determine the amount of your PPD award. The PPD is an indemnity benefit and is payable even if you have returned to work.

  3. Permanent Total Disability (PTD)

    If you are permanently unable to do any kind of work, you may be eligible for PTD benefits. Whether you are eligible for PTD benefits is determined at a hearing held by this Division.

  4. Disfigurement

    If an injury results in a permanent disfigurement, you may be entitled to additional compensation. Disfigurement includes scars, deformity, and discoloration. Laceration scars and surgical scars are reviewed six months from date of occurrence; however, burn scars are evaluated after one year. At the appropriate six-month or twelve-month timeframe, you may call this Division or on the neighbor-island, the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations District Office nearest you, to request your disfigurement be evaluated.

  5. Death Benefits

    Where an industrial injury results in death, the surviving spouse and dependent minor children (including full-time students up to 21 years of age) are entitled to weekly benefits as provided in the WC law. Funeral expenses up to 10 times the maximum weekly benefit rate and burial expenses up to 5 times the maximum weekly benefit rate are also allowed.

  6. Vocational Rehabilitation

    Should your injury prevent you from returning to your usual occupation, you may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services. You, as the injured worker, may select your own certified provider of rehabilitation services. The carrier does have a right to challenge your right to vocational rehabilitation services. You may obtain a current list of certified providers from your WC carrier.

  7. Concurrent Employment Benefits

    If you have two or more jobs and cannot work because of an injury you sustained on one of those jobs, you may be eligible for additional benefits from the WC Special Compensation Fund. To determine your eligibility for this benefit, Form WC-14, "Employee's Wage Report for Fifty-Two Weeks Prior to Date of Injury," must be completed by each of your employers and submitted to this Division or on the neighbor-island, the Department of Labor & Industrial Relations District Office nearest you, with your written request for concurrent benefits.


Next HIWA Meeting

Hawaii Injured Workers Meetings 2017

Our Non-Profit Status


On 12/12/2012 HIWA was granted its non-profit status by the IRS, effective as of 11/30/2011

ER ID No. 45-4038392


Donate Today


HIWA is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization

Call: (808) 538-9771